4.7.12

Captain America


Made in America for two adorable little men Dane and Chase.
Happy 4th of July boys!

A pretty simple cake so I thought I'd broaden my cake decorating abilities and knowledge... this time I learned to make marshmallow fondant!  Regular fondant is chalky tasting and as my kiddos would say, "ew! nasty!".  I tested my concoction out on my kiddos and it was a hit!  Marshmallow fondant tastes like sugary marshmallows and is so much easier to work with and so much more fun to play with! 

If you've tried your hand at cake decorating you're probably staring in awe at the red colored frosting.  Yes, it's my very own homemade butter cream frosting, no it does not taste "yucky" according to my kids and yes I will let you in on the well guarded secret of creating it.

It's so easy to make you don't even need to take notes! Really!
Ready? 

After many years and many, many attempts at making red I stumbled across this amazing thing called powdered food coloring!  Who knew it could make all the difference?

For a frosting recipe that calls for 2lbs of powdered sugar use 6 ounces of powdered red food coloring (2 containers) and 1 1/2 ounces of red gel food coloring (about 1/2 a  large container of Wilton no-taste).  Mix it slowly into your white frosting.  When it's mixed well let it sit.  It'll appear to be a crazy color of reddish orange... don't stress, you did it right I promise... just let it sit and do something else.  Check on it in about half an hour and ta-dah! As if by magic you have primary red!  It'll continue to brighten over many hours so I suggest making it a day in advance.

How easy was that?!?  And you are so very welcome. ;)
Don't ever fear red again!

4 comments:

  1. where can you purchase this powdered coloring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a store here, in Utah County, called Funfinity in where you can buy the powdered coloring. I haven't looked many other places, but I know you can also order it through Amazon or The Bakers Kitchen, if you don't need it immediately.

      Delete